Thursday, June 14, 2012

Creamed peas, carrots, and potatoes

My neighbor is such an awesome gardener!  He planted his peas in February!  He let us come over this morning to pick them.  There is little that compares to that of a freshly morning picked pea!  He also gave us some carrots that are incredible; they are already about 7 inches long and have an amazing flavor!  Yum.  So, for breakfast, I ate shelled peas and a raw carrot.  Now it is lunch time and I couldn't resist making new peas and potatoes.  My kids absolutely LOVE this dish.  My Grandma used to make this quite frequently when we would pay her a visit in the summertime; she is an avid gardener as well.  My Dad grows a beautiful tasty garden too.  I have grown a garden every year but this one; moving to a new place with a very overgrown yard has been fun, but it will take me all year to get it ready for a garden.

Creamed Peas, Carrots, and Potatoes
1 pound small red potatoes
2-1/2 cups  shelled peas
2 cups carrots
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 green onion, sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
2 cups 2% milk


Directions
Scrub and quarter potatoes.  Peel and slice carrots; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add peas; cook 3 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion; saute until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Drain potatoes, carrots and peas; toss with sauce. 



Here is my lunch!  Delish!


No comments:

Post a Comment