Friday, February 12, 2021

Instant Pot Yogurt




 I tried several times to make instant pot yogurt before I finally had success. There are a billion places on the internet to find out how to make it. I followed directions and thought I'd made it...just to have it not set up. That was disappointing.

I finally found a blog called, "this old gal" where she explains in detail how to make it. The trick to it for me and my instant pot was to continue to cook it after the yogurt, boil setting had finished. I simply turn on the sauté function and make certain the milk reaches 184 degrees before I continue. Made all the difference in the world! This is so good plain or used as a substitute for sour cream. It is excellent with my homemade granola recipe that you can find on here by typing granola into the search bar. I recommend making your own yogurt. It is so easy!

Pour 1 gallon of whole milk into your instant pot and press the yogurt button. Then press the adjust button until it reads, Boil. When the cycle is finished, open, stir and take the temperature. I always need to press the sauté button and stir until it reaches 184*. 

When desired temperature is achieved, place the inner pot into a sink of cold water and allow it to cool to 95 degrees stirring occasionally.

Take a scoop of milk out of the pot and place into a bowl with 2 tablespoons of starter (any plain yogurt with live cultures). Mix well and whisk back into the milk.

Place the pot back into the instant pot and press the yogurt button again. Making sure it reads 8:00.

Allow it to do its thing for 8 hours. Remove the inner pot when done, cover with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 8 hours. Voila! You then have yogurt! It is that easy. I strain mine for a bit to get rid of a little bit of the whey. But you can use it as is or whatever suits your fancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment