Thursday, July 12, 2012

Soft Caramel

I was stuck inside yesterday as the insulation guys were here filling my attic and sloped areas to hopefully help with the extreme heat my upstairs holds.
My daughter and I decided to try our hand at caramel apples; seeing how we have a Summer apple tree in our yard.
I pulled out my favorite caramel recipe that I generally only make at Christmas time.  It is such a nice easy recipe and caramel connoisseurs tell me is by far their favorite.
It was so hot, the caramel did not want to stick to the apples; we ended up eating both the apples and caramel in pieces together.  It was delicious.
As with all caramel recipes, you need a heavy saucepan.  Medium heat is also required so as not to burn them.  Constant stirring is helpful as well as a good candy thermometer; although the cold water test works fairly well with caramels.

Caramels

1 C. butter
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar
1 C. corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
dash of salt




Combine ingredients in heavy pan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Keep at a rolling boil and cook until a soft ball forms in cold water or to the 'thread' marking on your candy thermometer.  Pour into buttered 8x8 pan.  Dip apples while still warm or cool and cut into squares and wrap pieces in wax paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment