Saturday, December 24, 2016

Banana Cream Pie



This is my kids favorite pie! It isn't very difficult to make a bunch of pie crusts from a great recipe I received in the 80's when I was at a bridal shower. I will post the pie crust recipe shortly, but all you have to do is make a bunch of your favorite crusts and freeze them to pull out and use when you are needing to make a quick and tasty pie.
I bake my crust poked full of fork holes at 350* for about 13 minutes and set it aside to cool.
I usually make the cream part the day ahead and simply refrigerate it until the day I need the pie. 
Place 3c. whole milk in a microwave safe bowl and scald it (I do it on full power for 2 minutes).
Combine 3/4 c. sugar and 1/3 c. flour in a saucepan. Add 1/4 tsp. salt.
Stir in the scalded milk over medium heat stirring constantly.
When it just begins to show signs of boiling place a lid on the pan and time it for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. 
Take the mixture off heat. In a small bowl have 3 egg yolks beaten. Add a small amount of the cream mixture to the yolks and then add a bit more. Stir the yolks back into the main mixture and combine well. Cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp. vanilla and 2 Tbsp. butter.
I keep this mixture close by and stir it every few minutes to keep a crust from forming on the top. Refrigerate until you are ready to use it. Slice 3 bananas in the cooked pie crust and pour the cream mixture over them.
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment