Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Irish Oatmeal!


Well, truthfully, this is not an Irish Oatmeal recipe.  However, I do love steel cut oats!  I used to volunteer at a wood shop and we made spurdles there.   A spurdle is a Scottish porridge stirring stick.  It is supposed to keep the oats from breaking up too much.  I have heard that they actually do work and make really fluffy oats.  I should have made one for myself while I was still hobnobbing with the kind geezers men at the wood shop.  Unfortunately, I did not.  One day, I plan on saving grundles of money to purchase a mini lathe and then I will make myself one!  

The next best thing to steel cut oats is oatmeal cookies!  You can eat them and count it as breakfast too!

Best Oatmeal Cookies

1 & 1/4 C. butter
3/4 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 & 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3 C. oats

Beat butter and sugars.  Add egg and vanilla.  Add flour, soda and spices.  Blend in oats.  Bake at 375* 10-13 minutes

These are with an added 1 C. raisins, and 1 C. coconut. 


These are with an added 1 C. craisins, 1 C. white chocolate chips, and 1 C. coconut.



No comments:

Post a Comment