Sunday, January 22, 2012

Huckleberry Muffins


I love wild huckleberries! They are so sweet and very tasty. I bought some huckleberry plants one year at a garden shop and planted them thinking that they would taste similar to the wild huckleberry. These bushes grew crazy! They were loaded with huckleberries and I was so excited to harvest them. When harvest time came around, I picked these berries with great anticipation. I remembered my parents having grown them when I was young and enjoying them in pancakes, muffins and the like. The first thing I made with them was a huckleberry pie. It was disgusting! The huckleberries you can grow in your own garden are NOT at all like the ones you can harvest in the wild. They are very seedy and do not taste much like a fruit. I hated to waste my efforts in taking care of them for an entire season so I bottled the rest of my huckleberries. They are not great, but can be used in muffins or pancakes just fine.
I pulled out a bottle of them today and made huckleberry muffins. I have tried several muffin recipes and this one is my favorite one so far.

Huckleberry Muffins

1 & 3/4 C. flour
1 C. sugar
2 & 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 C. soft butter
1 egg
3/4 C. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. huckleberries tossed with 1 T. flour

Mix dry ingredients and make a hole. Add the wet ingredients all at once. Mix gently with a fork. Fold in huckleberries.
Bake at 400* 15-20 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment