Tuesday, February 14, 2012

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!


I love Valentines Day. At the risk of sounding pathetic, I have not received a Valentine gift from a significant other except one time when I was a teenager. I have received cute things from my sweet children and something special from my Mom every year.
For as long as I can remember, I have made giant sugar cookies for my children on Valentines Day. I guess I like this day because of the significance of love. I do not think you need a special day set apart for showing that you love someone, you should be showing you love them each and every day, but I also think it is a good reminder to do something special for that someone in your life who means the most to you. Maybe I'm a sentimental old fool, but the idea of having someone (meaning other than my kids or mother) actually bring me a bouquet or something special from them that says "I love you" is something I still hope for.
Here is a picture of a giant cookie I made today. It is pictured next to a regular sized cookie to show how large it is.
This is the recipe I used. It is a soft, cake like cookie. I will include the frosting recipe I used as well. This frosting is great when you don't have any butter on hand. It also is not super sweet and helps to balance the sweetness of the cookie.

Mandy's Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 cube butter
1 cube margarine
1 & 2/3 C. sugar
2 eggs
4 & 1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 C. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
Cream butters and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and sour cream. Mix well. Roll out on a floured surface. Cut into desired shapes and bake at 350* for 10 minutes.

Frosting
1 & 1/2 C. shortening
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
4 Tblsp. flour
2 Tblsp Dream Whip powder
1 large bag powdered sugar
2/3 C. water

Combine and beat for five minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment