Thursday, February 9, 2012

Squash Dessert!



I LOVE this dessert. It makes me feel good when I eat it too because it is made from squash so that negates the sugar....right? This is a recipe I got from my Mom and I am unsure where she acquired it. The recipe calls for yellow cake mix and I used butter pecan cake mix this time. It was a scrumptious change. I may even use that kind from here on out. It also calls for pumpkin but is so sweet and a cooked banana squash mashed up sure balances the sweetness and makes it irresistible! My Dad grows the best garden and he always has HUGE banana squash in the fall. The one I used for this dessert is from his garden last fall. My parents keep them in the cold root cellar all winter long. Seriously, trust me and use squash in place of the pumpkin.

Pumpkin Dessert

1 pkg. yellow cake mix (set aside 1 C. of it)
1/2 C. soft butter
1 egg

Filling

2 C. pumpkin (squash)
3/4 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
3/4 C. evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Topping

1 C. reserved cake mix
1/4 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 C. butter

Grease bottom of a 9X13 pan. Combine cake mix, butter and eggs. Mix together with a pastry blender. Spread on the bottom of the prepared pan. Stir together the filling ingredients and pour over the crust layer. Mix the topping ingredients using a pastry blender and sprinkle it over the filling. Bake in a 350* oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. On a side note, you may top this with whipped cream if you so desire. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment