Monday, August 26, 2013

Chokecherry Syrup

Chokecherries are so fun to gather from the mountains unless you happen to be allergic to the leaves! I have no problem consuming the stuff, but the leaves do NOT like me!
My dear Grandma gave me a bucket of already picked chokecherries last week! I still have some chokecherry jelly so I juiced them and made syrup of course!
I tried a new way to make it because last time I used pectin and it set up too solidly.
If you have never tried chokecherry syrup, you need to make it a priority! This stuff is so delicious and worth every minute it takes to make!!


Wash and remove stems and leaves from the cherries. I use a steam juicer to extract the juice.

In a large saucepan, combine 3 cups chokecherry juice and 6 cups granulated sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring. Boil one minute. Remove from heat and add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. almond extract. Pour in hot sterilized jars. Adjust two piece caps and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.


Pour any leftover generously over pancakes, waffles, or french toast!





No comments:

Post a Comment