Monday, November 14, 2011

Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread





Yes, I have been in the blogging mood today. I made some bread that didn't rise as well as usual but sometimes it is a tad cold in my kitchen for it to properly raise.
I grew up on this stuff. I remember having to take my lunch box to school everyday with a sandwich made from whole wheat bread and how I longed to be able to be like the other children who had school lunches. Now that I am older and have actually tasted a few school lunches, I no longer feel deprived. In fact, I feel very blessed. I remember one time when the school janitor came up to me in the lunchroom and told me that I must have a very special mom and that I was so lucky! At that time I didn't see any luck in having to bring lunch from home....but now, I see what he was talking about.

Mom's Bread

Dissolve 1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. yeast
in 1/2 c. warm water

I am very fortunate to have a Bosch mixer. My grandmother bought it for me 23 years ago and it is still going strong. What this means is, that if you wish to make it any other way, you are on your own. I only use my Bosch for this and have no idea how it would be any other way. Life should be full of experiments though so be brave.

Put 5 c. hot tap water in Bosch
Add 7 c. freshly ground whole wheat flour
Blend well.
Add 2 Tbsp. salt
2/3 c. oil
2/3 c. honey
Mix.
Add 1 c. WW flour
Then add yeast mixture
Mix.
Add 3 c. WW flour and mix well
Knead in Bosch for ten minutes
Oil the counter and your hands with Canola oil
Dump the dough out on the oiled counter
Divide into four equal pieces and place in greased loaf tins
Let raise for 30 minutes or so
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until done

Slice warm and smother with butter and honey
Devour!

No comments:

Post a Comment