Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sweetly Divine!




The stockings are hung by the chimney with care....and all the candy is finally finished!
I have wanted to learn to make candy for a long time. I used to live by a little old lady that made the most delicious candy I had ever eaten. I begged her to share her recipes or teach me how to make it. She said it was difficult and took too long. I was set back but didn't give up on my desire to learn this art.
In the meantime, I searched for candy recipes but could only find the easy fudge, truffles and such. I didn't give up and five years ago I found a book that takes you step by step through the candy making process. I bought this book from a local store but I am hoping you can find it via the internet. It is fittingly titled Candymaking by Ruth A. Kendrick and Pauline H. Atkinson.
My favorite fondant is as follows but if you are going to try this I recommend reading about how to make fondant. There are a lot of recipes and tips on the internet. The thing I find most helpful is to boil water with the candy thermometer immersed for a few minutes to see what temperature water boils at the day you are going to make candy and then adjust your recipes accordingly.

4C. Sugar
1&1/3C. Cream
1/3C. White Karo Syrup
1/3 Square Butter
Dash of Salt
Combine everything in a heavy saucepan. Wash down the sides of your pan with a wet pastry brush to rid yourself of any sugar crystals.
Cook to 227 degrees on your candy thermometer.
Without scraping the pan, pour contents out on a cold surface (I use a marble slab). When it is cool to the touch begin beating until it looses its gloss and changes texture.
You can divide it up and work the flavor in with your hands or use three capfuls of flavoring per batch and add it after about fifteen minutes of beating. It should take about thirty minutes to beat it but I have made some that has taken close to an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment